Saturday, February 16, 2013

Free

by Winter
I am NOT your victim
Nor am I your cohort
I am NOT your friend,
your daughter, your wife.
I am NOT the one who
should wear your shame.
I am NOT guilty of your crime.
I am NOT involved in your sickness.
I am NOT your prisoner or even
your slave.
I am NOT a child anymore
but inside I cry just the same.
I am NOT broken and I will
NOT play your twisted game.
I AM free today.
I speak my truth
in spite of you.
I do NOT allow you to bring me pain.
I AM stronger now.
I AM stable
& I'm sane.
YOU prey on innocence.
YOU hide in the shadow
of a family's trust.
YOU break young girls.
YOU bring us pain.
YOU ruin lives.
YOU play sick games.
YOU stand alone
as always you did.
I was never a part
of YOU, you see.
YOU will pay for
YOUR crimes.
Not me.
I AM FREE.

2 comments:

  1. So incredibly powerful Lola. The underlying 'abuse/mistreatment' is palpable and yet the strength from overcoming is absolutely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this poem. When my friend posted it, I just HAD to share it because it was just so relate-able on so many levels. She is amazing. I'm so proud of her strength to come out of her journey. :)

    ReplyDelete